Friday, October 16, 2009

Why Austin Rocks!

I had heard a good many things about Austin, Texas, before exploring the scene for two days. After driving for too long across Texas I decided to go on driving strike, booked a hotel room downtown for two nights, and parked the Mali-boo. I did the whole city on foot, which felt great.

First things first: Sixth Street, the historical and famed "Live Music Capital of the World," lived up to its name. I counted no less than fifty bars and music venues in essentially a six block radius. Martini bars, neon bars, shot bars, wine bars, rum bars, blues bars, jazz bars, sports bars, death metal pizza bars, breweries, dive bars, and the list goes on. I frequented several (in the name of thorough research), and I'll admit here openly that Austin done did me in. Shakespeare's Pub serves good, dark, local Austin beer in Ken Grossman's patented etched Sierra Nevada pint glasses! The Texas Embassy serves only Texas beer and Texas food, and overlooks the Red River (a misnomer, as it is really a brown creek that winds between lush greenery). The neon bar had a special, $1 for any shot of any liquor. Austin, my friends, is a dangerous place. And a musical one: entire lanes are devoted to musician loading-and-unloading only. Live music every single night of the week, with about thirty choices each night? Yes. Sold.






Next: The University of Texas is absolutely gorgeous. Stately white-walled buildings, marble floors, old tarnished oak staircases, fountains and statues, art museums, gallery space both indoors and out, hills and trees, happy students, and enough school pride to make you damn near ecstatic. I found myself really hoping that the Longhorns beat the Sooners on Saturday just so all of those orange-and-white clad folks will have something to cheer about. Note: the hand signal for the Longhorns is the same as the international sign for "I'm rockin' out right now." Meant to symbolize the mascot's horns, but more appropriately symbolizing Austin itself. Go Texas.



The fountain at the main building, in front of the liberal arts complex.



The student gym and aquatic center, free for use seven days a week, backs up to the Longhorns Stadium.



Rock on, Austin.

Finally, the culture of the place is incredibly surprising, given its location in the heart of one of the reddest states in the entire country. I had to test it out. Hence I found myself at at "Texcentric" live vaudeville show at Esther's Follies on Thursday night. I tell you that it has been quite a while since I've laughed so hard at anything. The emcee came on stage wearing a massive cowboy hat and strumming a guitar, and I thought, what the hell have I gotten myself into? But the entire performance was organized around Texas stereotypes, southern habits, current events, pop culture, and quick-witted jabs at everyone from Bush and Patsy Cline to faceook and match.com. Loved it. You must see this for yourself to believe.

Austin does have some downfalls (namely, the humidity). But overall the place is great, the people are friendly, the culture is phenomenal, the BBQ is to die for, and as I was leaving, a gray sky and cool breeze confirmed my suspicions: I'd never thought I'd say this, but I could see myself in Texas.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post, Chrisanna! I forwarded the link to our Texan pals in or not too far from Austin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a red state without an oasis of cool blue? Actually, we round up all the cool, liberal folks in other parts of Texas and ship 'em to Austin to keep things pure in the rest of the state! (ha! - that's for Greg!) I'm glad you enjoyed Austin and hope you end up a grad school Longhorn! That's what our daughter did...

    ReplyDelete